Fashionably frugal...

by - Thursday, March 31, 2011

Are you frugal?
Funny word, isn't it? But with the recent economic challenges facing modern families, this is the fashionable word and lifestyle to adopt. Being on a budget forces you to think a little more, plan a lot, and most of all, get creative. So, while redecorating our family room, I was determined to give it a serious makeover without breaking the bank. In fact, I decorated on a dime!
One of the focal pieces in the room is the sofa (which in fact is a sofa bed), in serious need of a face lift. I already had a slipcover for it, but that wasn't enough. It was so b-o-r-i-n-g. It needed something that fit it just right, something that felt real comfy and casual for a family room, but could handle a lot of wear well... sort of like a favorite pair of jeans... AHA! Yes, I had a brilliant idea and ran upstairs to fetch my box of denims. Over the years, I have kept most of our jeans. Some have holes, some were simply outgrown and others were just retired - all buried in my "denim graveyard" box.  I resurrected them... Out of the box they came, and I started to cut the legs open, laying them along the back and seat of the sofa. Just enough... eight pairs in all would do the trick! So I cut some more, pinned, sewed, steamed the fabric and stapled it to the wooden frame.
Before
After
Now our family room has a bit of each of us in the furniture in addition to the overall decor. Brenna and Robert love it! And so do I... enjoy being fashionably frugal... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.